Friday, March 19, 2010

The International Magazine Swap

By now you probably know my affection for magazines and sharing little bits of them with you. When I first spoke of House Beautiful, Floss from the lovely blog, Troc Broc And Recup left me a comment about how she used to have a subscription to British House Beautiful and has kept all the copies. I offered to send some of my mags to her and so the story begins. Through a few emails we struck a good swap deal and today my two began their journey across land and sea to France. How fun is that? Floss also did a post where she took us on a foot journey to her post office with pics of spots along the way, it was very nice. Not to be a copycat I will take you by car and only a few snaps.......So we will grab the two traveling companions and head on down the highway, into town and right to the P.O.
A beautiful old brick building with all marble interior.


The nicest workers inside, always kind, patient and helpful ( small town bonus). The nice lady let me put it through the slot so I could take a picture of that for you then she had to go to the bin and fish it out for a special spot they must keep packages for customs (anything over a pound ). She was happy to be part of the story I do believe.
Here it is heading down to the waiting hands of the trained government professional who will whisk it off to the safety of the special holding place for customs.


On my way back home I must go over a few blocks and stop at my very favorite thrift store. The Red Door...There is no other to compare. Not a lot of junk and real good prices. Things go fast.
Back home to get things out and show you before I have to start dinner.
Here's a 1982 book that I can hardly wait to get into to see what might be coming back in style now.
A door stop in perfect condition, what a find. And do you see those ears sticking up?
Well no, they are not thrifted, they followed me from the florist/gift shop in town when I went in to say hi to the owner.

They promised to be good if they could stay. Now how can you say no to those faces?

It has been a good full day but now it's time to say goodnight.

6 comments:

Andi's English Attic said...

I love the tulip doorstop. What a wonderful find. xx

Princess and the Pea said...

Wow! Look at those butterflies around the ladies neck on your little book! I may have to have a go at making one of those!

Maisey's Attic said...

Hi - loved your post today, it's so nice to see some different scenery and get an idea of where you live - the Red Door looks like my kind of shop - made me feel like popping round for coffee and a look round -
Hope you're having a good weekend, and feeling more at home computer wise - xxx

Andi's English Attic said...

Btw - Thanks for your comment on my blog, and in answer to your question, emulsion is the water-based paint for walls + ceiling, so not normally what you'd use for kitchen units. What's it called in the US? xx

Sherri B. said...

Andi. It sounds like just laytex water based paint. There are so many different kinds of paint that I can't keep up anymore...I just go and tell them what I am painting and they tell me what I need.

Floss said...

Ooh, ooh, ohh, a glimpse of my magazines! How exciting! Your post office looks lovely, and surprisingly similar to ours, actually! Our ladies are just a bit grumbly, though - the tiny post office at the next village is friendlier, but now we've moved into town I have to accept what I get, I suppose...

It would be fun to visit your thrift store too.