Thursday, August 25, 2011

Quilts of Gee's Bend


Many times I have thought about a post on the amazing women of Gee's Bend and after leaving a comment over at Ted and Bunny's blog, I decided to take a moment to leave you with a few links to go and take a look. The fact that these women that started out as freed slaves in an isolated place in Alabama, passed on, through six generations, these works of art, fills my heart with wonder and joy. Please do take a moment to visit these links you will be so inspired.
xo
Source of above photo and other quilts - http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=slv8-w3i&va=gees+bend+quilts
Some History - http://www.quiltsofgeesbend.com/history/

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That's pretty neat. I think quilts often capture something really special about the history of their makers. I loved reading about the quilts of Gee's Bend, Sherri. Thanks for sharing the link. :)

Lynn said...

Amazing quilts! Could you imagine if they added up the amount of time it took to make all of them?:@)

RDA Pony Tales said...

I have just come from Ted and Bunny's blog. I love old quilts and the history behind them. Thanks so much for the links Sherri, I shall go and take a look. x

GardenOfDaisies said...

I have seen pictures. And they are the most amazing graphic quilts ever! Someday I would love to see some in person.

Edward said...

Wow so many different quilts some of them are really nice I like one you chose to go on your blog a lot it’s got a very nice design.
Regards
Edward

polkadotpeticoat said...

I love new places to check out...

no spring chicken said...

This is something I had never heard of. Amazing use of form and color... Thanks for the link.

Blessings, Debbie

Kathy said...

This looks like a pattern my daughter would love! I'll have to share it with her!
Have a great weekend,
Kathy

Katiebee said...

loved this link! hope all is well with you & yours~

hugs

katie