Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Breakfast


In my many years of of gardening and my eagerness to plant just a few more zucchini hills, 'just in case' something doesn't come up, I have made my share of The Bread. Many recipes have been stirred up by these hands and many a high hope have been dashed. - Not this time, finally, I do believe, a tasty, above average loaf of zucchini bread has come out of my oven. It is moist but solid, with a hint of spice and a crust with a tiny bit of caramelized chew.




This recipe has been on my list (almost forgotten) of things to bake. It is from this book by Maida Heatter and was published in the early 80's. She made a point of baking up recipes until they reached perfection and sharing others that she found noteworthy. This one came from a restaurant she had visited in Seattle named E.A.T. , I tried to find it but was unsuccessful in my search. Anyway, here is a link if you would like to know more about this fascinating woman.


Zucchini Loaf from Seattle
3 Cups sifted flour
Scant 1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
3 t. cinnamon
2 Packed cups zucchini, shredded into julienne-shaped slivers
2 eggs
2 C. sugar
1 C. oil
1 t. vanilla
4 oz. of walnuts, cut or broken into medium size pieces. - I used about 1/2 C. pecans. (toasted).
Oven 350 degrees. oven middle rack. Makes, one - Loaf/Bread Pan
Maida suggests buttering the loaf pan and using fine bread crumbs instead of the usual flour for dusting the pan...I did do this and will do it for all cakes and other baked items in the future. I was very impressed with the crust and I'm sure you will be too.
This can all be done easily by hand and so no need to get out your mixer but you can use it if you prefer.
In a large bowl beat eggs just to mix.
Mix in sugar, oil and vanilla.
Add sifted dry ingredients and beat/stir to mix - it will be thick, I used a wooden spoon.
Add zucchini along with any juice and mix thoroughly, the zucchini will thin the batter. Stir in the nuts.
Put into pan and smooth the top and bake for 1 hr. and 45 min. check with a cake tester and make sure it comes out dry. The loaf will rise high and have a crack on the top.
*
Have a good Wednesday.
Let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Turn out and let cool completely...Enjoy!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I just realized that we haven't made any zucchini bread this year. Normally we bake so much of it that our freezer is stocked for months. Gonna have to go remedy that situation. :)

RDA Pony Tales said...

I have never tried zucchini bread. My husband does not like them... I think they are called courgettes in UK. Perhaps they taste differently in the loaf? It looks a delicious recipe, so maybe I should bake one and eat it all myself! :)

Sherry said...

I think in the UK, zucchini is vegetable marrow. My favorite use for zucchini is in chocolate zucchini cake. The zucchini adds moisture not a squashy taste.
(Coming up: my next blog post will be about THE BOOK, which arrived minutes ago. So exciting!)

flwrjane said...

Looks delish. Too bad the dingo ate my baby or the beatles ate my zucchini.....

You will have to send me a loaf:

xo Jane

Lynn said...

I could have used a couple more plants myself this year... Glad you got some zukes! The bread sounds great-enjoy:@)

GardenOfDaisies said...

OH my goodness, I LOVE zucchini bread and your recipe sounds delicious!! I'll have to make that one when my girlfriend comes over for tea this weekend.

Nan said...

Zucchini bread was alway so good back when I ate grains....:-(

reba said...

Sherri.. I am going to give this recipe to my friend...He loves Zucchini and next year when vegetables come in maybe I'll try it. Looks delicious..have a nice weekend.

reba said...

It worked Sherri...thank you so much. You are a genius.

polkadotpeticoat said...

I'm going to have to try this recipe.....I have a yellow zucchini on my counter......