Wednesday, May 19, 2010

7 TH Entry and Mr. B. The Gardener

The seventh entry is over at The Kitchen Calls, so head on over and find out all the delicious details. Enjoy!


Mr. B. has started working on the raised beds that we had to take out of the old garden for the chickens. He chose three tomato plants for the first bed, Early Girl, Sweet Million and Sun Gold. They have not taken off yet as we can't seem to get any even temperatures and later today and tonight we will be having very high wind (more like winter winds) so will have to see how that turns out.

Now I am going to tell a story on Mr. B., do you see that half of our dwarf apple tree is gone? Well I wonder how that could of happened. A mistake in pruning I hear you ask. No that is not it. Disease perhaps? Not that either.

There is something you should know about our Mr. B. , he is a tidy sort and likes to make sure no limbs and trimming debris are left laying around and so everything is neatly piled up with plenty of pesky cardboard and paper on to . . . .


. . . . . . . The burn pit. . . . It really is far enough away for the tree to be safe but not when the pile was a bit too large and the wind suddenly picks up and next thing you know the tree is on fire, yes the poor little tree. What did I do? Well I didn't know anything about it until I saw my sweet man 'pruning the tree' trying to get rid of the blackened evidence and then finally the confession.
Yes he has learned his lesson and the tree still produces so all's well that ends well. Can you ever trust boys with fire?
I will leave you with that little story and wish you a nice day.



3 comments:

Princess and the Pea said...

You know what they say, if you want a job doing properly.... get a woman to do it!

Lola Nova said...

Well, I am certainly glad that it all worked out in the end and no one was hurt (but for your little tree of course). I have a few stories about the Engineer's quest for fire as well :)

Andi's English Attic said...

Poor tree. Men do like playing with fire, don't they. It's to do with their caveman heritage.
Interested to see your raised beds as I'm about to make one out of an old pallet for my blueberries. xx